Friday, December 7, 2012

Sourdough Waffles


slightly adapted from King Arthur Flour

I half the recipe which makes enough for my two kids and me.  I'd say the full recipe will feed 4 adults.

Overnight sponge

  • 2 cups flour (I use a combination of whole wheat pastry, kamut, and buckwheat flour)
  • 2 tablespoons cornmeal (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1 cup sourdough starter, unfed

Waffle or pancake batter

  • all of the overnight sponge
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter (I use melted coconut oil)
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

The night  before, combine all the ingredients for the overnight sponge in a large glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place.  When you are ready to make the waffles, (at least 12 hours later) combine the overnight sponge with the 2 eggs, oil, salt, baking soda and vanilla.  The batter will be very bubbly.  Don't over mix and deflate all the bubbles.  Bake in a waffle iron or use the batter to make pancakes.

Jessica's notes: You can make your own sourdough starter, instructions here (which is what I did). Or I can just give you some.  I've had mine for a few years and it works great.  If the waffles seem soggy, you can add a bit more flour.  Once the waffle is baked, I like to lift it out, give it a quarter turn and let it sit on the open waffle maker for a minute which helps keep the waffle crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment